April 30, 2014 was our nations first National Day of Action. It is a part of America’s PrepareAthon! which is a nationwide, community-based campaign to increase emergency preparedness and resilience through participation in hazard-specific drills, group discussions and exercises conducted at the national level every fall and spring. As a part of this day, Right Side Up Ministries sent out an email with some simple tips on how you can prepare for disaster. Below is the email we sent out:
Almost every affected homeowner that we have met after a disaster has told us that they never thought anything like this would ever happen to them. We like to think that the worse-case scenarios only happen to other people, in other communities. But the truth is that any of our communities could be next.
Today is the first annual National Day of Action, sponsored by FEMA . Really, it is a day of preparation for the spring and summer disaster threats. As the saying goes, failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Take some time today to prepare your home, family, business, and church. Here are some practical tips:
1. Take pictures of all of your belongings for potential insurance claims of property loss or damage. Go room to room and take photographs of each wall and every drawer’s contents. Make sure to store these photographs on a cloud storage, such as iCloud or Dropbox, if possible. Also scan and upload important documents and insurance paperwork.
2. Get a water-proof, fire-proof safe to store your important documents and valuables. Label this safe with your name and contact information.
3. Create an emergency preparedness kit. The Red Cross’s website and mobile apps have some great suggestions for the contents of these kits.
4. Have a plan ready for what you would do in case of an emergency. Talk about this plan as a family, business, or church so that everyone is on the same page and knows what to do.
5. Review your insurance policies and make any necessary updates. Too often we meet people who have lost out on thousands of dollars in insurance money because their policies were not up-to-date.
More practical tips are available on the Day of Action’s website and Ready.gov. As our partners and friends, we care deeply about your safety and well-being. Please take some time to prepare today so that you might be safe in case of an emergency.